Monday, March 5, 2012

Process Comments.

Today's post is a little bit of a cheat. I wrote a blog a month or so ago for my church that was posted today. It's pretty vulnerable in and of itself, but so that it's not a complete cheat, I'll add a little about what it was like for me to write it. We counseling-types call that talking about the "process."

Writing it was easy (much like these blogs). But the idea of people reading it - especially some people in particular - makes me squirm. I watched an episode of Biggest Loser recently where a contestant had a break down from the cameras being on her all day every day. She locked herself in the bathroom, and when the trainer came to ask her why, she said, "I've been used to being invisible for 42 years, and here it's impossible. And it's harder than I ever thought it would be. I've hidden behind walls my whole life, and now... other people are tearing them down. And I don't have any protection."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Richmont has been a place where God and others have pursued me and broken down my walls. This is an exercise in learning to tear them down myself.

Here's the link to the blog I wrote for my church on prayer: Providence Journey Blog

2 comments:

Kristen V said...

I just wanted to leave a comment letting you know how awesome I think this idea of 'giving up pride for Lent' thing is. I found your blog on the list of comments on Don Miller's facebook and gave it a look. I hope to be able to do something similar to this soon, but, just as you said, would fear the raw openness that would accompany it. Keep ripping off those band aids and tearing down the walls, and pray I can do the same!

Rachel said...

Thanks Kristen! I so appreciate your comment and your encouragement! I would love nothing more than for someone else to do this along with me. It feels icky, but I can't help feeling that God rewards the relational risks we take. Thank you so much for reading! :-)